Table of Contents Hide
In the age of the digital world, we have to save ourselves from many threats but how can we do it? Well, we can protect ourselves with the help of a network security key. But do you know what is network security key is and how it can protect you from attackers?
In this article, we will learn about the network security key and where to find it.
Network Security Key is very important for a secure wireless network because it prevents unauthorized access to the network. If you don’t have a network security key then anyone can connect to your network and can access your personal information.
Hackers can intercept data transmitted between devices on the network and gain access to sensitive information such as passwords, financial information, and personal data.
So, In this guide, I am sharing with you all about network security, why you need it, how to find it on different types of devices, and how to change it. Without wasting any time, let’s move forward.
What is the meaning of a Network Security Key?
When you connect to any private wireless network by entering a code, then that code is known as the security key of that network. This acts as a passphrase or password to prevent unauthorized access to the network.
Anyone using a WiFi connection should be required to enter the wireless connection’s security code in order to access the internet.
A network key also makes it easier for users and clients to connect in a safe way. As a result, it safeguards all your online data and files to provide a safe internet experience.
What are the types of Network Security keys?
There are generally three types of security keys that you need to know:
1. WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
WEP Key protects the wireless network from unauthorized access. This key works with a combination of letters and numbers and its length can be up to 10 or 20 characters.
It is a very simple and low-security password key for WiFi devices. It encrypts the messages between client and user and can be easily decoded by another person.
2. WPA (WiFi Protected Access)
WPA is a highly secured network key that prevents the wireless network from unauthorized access. This type of network key is most used for home networks.
If this network key is set for your wireless network, then it can’t be easily modified by another person.
So, only an authorized person can access your wireless network. It is the latest type of network key that works with all WiFi-enabled devices. In case, if you are using an older device, then it will not work.
3. WPA 2 (WiFi Protected Access 2)
WPA 2 works similarly to the WPA security key but provides more security for your wireless network. This network key works with all wireless networks and adapters but not with the access points.
It uses preshared key (PSK) authentication with security protocol. When there is an enterprise user, then the WPA2 network key can be used for an enterprise authentication server.
How to Find a Network Security Key?
It is very easy to find network security on different devices like Windows, WiFi routers, and Android phones.
Find Network Security Key for Windows.
A network security key on Windows can be said as the password to connect to a WiFi network.
Follow these steps to find the network key for Windows:
- Open your desktop or laptop.
- Click on the Start icon.
- Select Control Panel.
- Go to Network and Sharing Center.
- Select a network to connect with from active networks.
- Click on Wireless Properties.
- Now Select Security.
- Below the Network Security Key, select Show Characters.
- After clicking, you can easily know the password of your WiFi connection which is connected to Windows.
Now, write down or learn this password in a safe place to use its again next time if the network gets disconnected.
Find Network Security Key for MacOS.
To find a Network Security Key or Wi-Fi password on a Mac, follow these steps:
- Open Finder and select Go > Utilities.
- Tap on Keychain Access.
- Double-click on the currently connected network.
- click on the checkbox next to “Show password:”
- Now type the password you use to log into your Mac.
- Select OK. It will then be viewable to the right of “Show password:”.
Find Network Security Key for Router.
It is very necessary to know the security key of your WiFi connection to access the internet.
You can find network security for the router by following these steps:
- Look at your WiFi Router and find a label.
- Now read the label carefully.
- There you will see both the network SSID and the password of the Wifi router.
- The Wireless security key or password is the network security of your router.
- So, you have to enter this password while connecting any device to the WiFi router.
You can write down this password and can take a screenshot of the label for future purposes.
In case, if there is no label mentioned or some words are missing on the label, then you can check the web interface to find the SSID and password of the Wifi router.
Find Network Security Key for Android.
If you are using an Android smartphone or tablet and want to connect another device with your mobile hotspot, then it is very necessary to know the security key or password of your device.
There are some steps to find a network security key for Android:
- Go to the apps section.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Network and Internet.
- Select Hotspot and Tethering.
- Tap on the WiFi hotspot.
- Select Hotspot password.
- Now, you can see the password of your Android device hotspot.
- From here, you can also change this password later.
Find Network Security Key for iPhone.
If you are using a iphone then try these steps to get the security key:
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Wi-Fi.
- Look for the Wi-Fi network that you want to find the Network Security Key for and tap on the “i” icon next to it.
- Copy your router’s IP address and paste it into your browser.
- Enter your router’s login credentials to see the password.
Now, you can easily find network security keys on Android, Windows, IOS, and Wifi routers and can use them to connect to the internet.
What are the advantages of a Network Security Key?
These are some benefits you need to know if you use network security for wireless connection.
- It protects your WiFi connection from unauthorized access.
- This helps to establish a secure connection between a user and the client.
- Prevents the network to avoid hackers and spammers.
- It works as authentication to connect to a network.
- This secures all the files and data saved on the network.
How to Change Your WiFi Password?
You need to change your WiFi password if someone knows your connection password and has access to the internet connection. If other people get access to your WiFi, then the internet speed will decrease.
The other reason for changing your WiFi password is if you don’t like the default password of your WiFi modem or router. That password may contain complex collections of characters that are very hard to understand and remember.
So, you can change your WiFi password or network security by following these simple steps.
- Open your device or Admin Panel of your WiFi Router.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Network and Internet.
- Select a WiFi hotspot.
- Check the SSID name and password.
- Create an easy password.
- Change password.
Now you can successfully change the password of your WiFi connection by following the above steps. After changing the password once, you should change it regularly to improve the safety of your WiFi connection.
In this article, we have told you everything about Network Security Key and why it is important. Whichever device you are using, you can get the key by using the above methods.
Your network without a Network Security Key is vulnerable and hackers can intercept data transmitted between devices on the network and gain access to sensitive information such as passwords, financial information, and personal data.
So it’s very important to have a protected network and also don’t forget to change your password from time to time.
If you have any quarry left then drop a message in the comment box and let us know.
You may also like:
- What Is A VPN Used For
- Does IHOP Have Wi-Fi (Full Explained)
- Cricket Wireless Hotspot Not Working: How To Fix In Easy Ways
- How to change DNS server on PC
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it easy to find out the Network Security Key?
Yes, you can easily find Network Security Key for your device from the Settings option or by checking the mentioned label.
How can I identify Network Security?
If you see a combination of characters on the label of Router, then it means this is the network security key for your WiFi connection.
Are Network Security Key and Password both the same?
These both are similar and protect a WiFi connection from unauthorized access. For Windows, PC, and Router it will be called a Network Security Key, while for Android, it can be called a password.