Do you want to know how the VPN works? So I wrote this tutorial to explain everything about VPNs. You may use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to protect a network connection and access geo-restricted websites.
It assists in encrypting connections when we use public networks like Wi-Fi at restaurants and businesses to do some surfing, shopping, and banking.
VPNs may appear complicated, yet they are pretty simple to use. Mostly large corporations use VPNs to share critical data across networks.
Also, it encrypts all internet data and traffic, making it impossible for a third party to trace your online activities and steal your data. Additional advantages and benefits to utilizing VPNs on your device when browsing the internet exist. Read this piece attentively to learn everything there is to know about VPNs.
As a result, in this guide, you will learn What exactly is VPNs? Benefits of Using VPNs, VPN Limitations How does a VPN work? What are the many types of VPNs? Best VPNs on the market, How do I set up a VPN? & How Do VPNs Work?
What is a VPN?
Virtual Private Network is a type of technology that offers personal and secure access to the internet. It encrypts and routes your internet connection through a distant server, making it more difficult for others to intercept or access your online activity. It makes it an essential tool for people who want to protect their privacy and security online.
One of the most important benefits of using a VPN is that it protects your online privacy and security. Your data is encrypted when you connect to the internet using a VPN, making it far more difficult for hackers, government agencies, or other third parties to intercept or access your online activity. It can be imperative when using public wifi networks, which are often unsecured and vulnerable to hacking.
This is a tunnel for internet activity where anyone can’t trace you. Only you will know what files you shared, what products you bought while shopping, and what you did on the internet using VPNs.
What are the Benefits of Using a VPN?
As we mentioned, VPNs encrypt your internet connection, so your online activity and data will be completely safe. Some are other benefits you can get while using VPNs.
- Protecting online privacy and security: helps to hide your online activities and protect your personal information from being monitored or stolen by hackers or government agencies.
- Accessing restricted content: help you bypass geographical restrictions and access content unavailable in your country, such as streaming services or websites.
- Enhancing online security: help secure your internet connection using public wifi networks and protect you from hacking or identity theft.
- Maintaining anonymity online: help you stay anonymous by hiding your IP address and making it difficult for others to track your online activities.
- Improving network performance: improve your network performance by reducing lag and improving download speeds when accessing content from remote servers.
What are the Limitations of VPN?
If there are benefits of VPNs, there are also some limitations of VPNs.
1. VPNs Blocks
If a business or company knows about a server with a VPNs IP address, then they can block your IP address from getting access to their content.
You don’t need to worry because your server can turn on a new IP address with the help of a VPNs to access the content again.
2. Slow internet speed
In most cases, when you use VPNs services to access content on the internet, then your internet speed will automatically slow down.
It happens because your server goes through more processes when it is connected to VPNs. So VPNs developers frequently work to optimize speed and performance to provide users a better experience than before.
3. Saves your online activity
You know VPNs protect your data from hackers, governments, and other third-party users, but do you know that some VPNs providers can see your online activity?
Yes, you might be shocked after knowing this, which is a true thing. So you have to choose the best VPNs service which doesn’t track your online activities.
4. No QoS
Basically, QoS means the quality of service you get while using VPNs services. You will not get any metrics data to analyze the working of the VPNs over your network.
So you can take a look at the reviews mentioned by previous users about a particular VPNs service.
5. Unsecured Cookies
As we know, VPNs protects our online activity and keep our network encrypted but you may get cookies on your browser while using the websites.
Most websites save tracking cookies on your browser so your location can be easily found by the website server.
You can delete these tracking cookies easily but this may be time-consuming while accessing important content.
To deal with this situation, you need to use a browser or VPNs service which automatically deletes or prevents tracking cookies from your browser to track your location.
How does VPN work?
In addition, the functioning of VPNs is quite straightforward; it secures your network and all internet activities, hiding your IP address and redirecting your connection through a server.
It means your data can be seen by the VPNs host. But, the benefit of VPNs is that your Internet Service Provider and third-party users can’t see your online activity. So, your data is totally safe on the VPNs server.
You can say VPNs works as a tunnel for you over the network. With these benefits, Firstly big companies started to use VPNs to secure their private networks.
After some popularity and knowledge about working ability, normal people also started to use VPNs on their computers.
What are the Types of VPN?
There are four different types of VPNs that you need to know.
1. Remote-Access VPN
This is a very basic type of VPNs by which you easily connect to another network through a private encryption tunnel.
You can connect to the company’s internal server or directly to the internet with a different IP address.
2. Site-to-Site VPN
This is generally used by big companies to secure their private networks. So, any person in the company can access the data on the Company’s private network through a Site-to-Site VPN.
If a company has different locations, then any employee can access the data on the private network from any location. This VPN also helps to send files from one intranet to another without a user.
3. SSL VPN
SSL VPN is also used to secure private network over the internet. Mostly got in demand when the Corona crisis started.
Because the companies which are providing work-from-home to their employees are not being able to provide devices to their employees.
So, most of the employees started to use their personal devices, computer, laptop, etc. Companies started to implement SSL VPN solutions through a corresponding hardware box.
4. Client-to-Server VPN
Additionally, the VPN Client proves to be highly beneficial for individuals who need to remotely connect to their company network from their home office through a computer or laptop.
When you connect to a secured connection with this VPNs, then your own IP address will be secured. The connection will be established through a VPN provider.
If you use this VPN, then you don’t need to wait for an encryption tunnel on the existing connection. This VPN makes the tunnel phase short on the time of browsing through the VPNs.
This type of VPN is mostly helpful to secure public WLAN. So, any third-party user can’t access an internet connection and important data.
Any user with a different ISP can’t access the data because it is totally safe and secured, but it allows VPN users to access the internet even with restrictions.
Best VPN Services
There are some best VPNs services available online.
1. Private Internet Access
This VPN provides lightning-fast internet speed. This can be run on 10 devices simultaneously. It can protect your devices like smartphones, computers, and routers.
- Provides real-time malware protection
- Fast scanning
- Provides more privacy features
- Allows you to control your all data.
- $11.11/month for 1 month plan
- $2/month for 2 years plan
- $6.92/month for 6 month plan
This VPN encrypts your online data from third-party users. It secures your online traffic with full encryption. So, you can do safe browsing on Public WiFi or another network.
It allows you to get full access to content which are restricted in some countries. This changes your IP address and obscures your virtual location.
- Easy-to-use VPN service
- Works on all devices like phone, tablet, laptop, and PC.
- Works on 6 devices with one account
- Gives worldwide access
- Provides 24/7 customer support
- Completely secured and threat protection
- Easy to connect
- $3.69/month for Standard Plan
- $4.59/month for Plus Plan
- $5.89/month for Complete Plan
3. Express VPN
Express VPN encrypts your private network and hides your IP address to protect your online activity.
This VPN comes with apps to use for every device like Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers.
- Protects your online activity from hackers
- You can easily access geo-restricted websites
- Connect to any unlimited bandwidth with the lightning-fast VPN server
- $12.95/month for 1 month plan
- $6.67/month for 12 months plan
- $9.99/month for 6 months plan
Furthermore, this offers digital privacy for internet connections. Moreover, its headquarters are located in Romania, a place where robust privacy laws are in place.
Additionally, it ensures that sensitive information such as your IP address, bandwidth usage, browsing history, session duration, accessed websites, and VPN server connections are not recorded.
- Provides lightning-fast speed
- Allows to set the location of any country
- Provides Public WiFi Protection
- Encrypts your online activity and important data
- 24/7 customer support
- $11.72/month for 1 month plan
- $2.13/month for 2 years plan
- $6.80/month for 6 months plan
How to Install VPN?
We have listed some best VPNs services for you. So choose which fits your pocket and for your internet usage.
After carefully selecting the top VPNs, the next step is to easily install the chosen one on either your computer or mobile phone, just like installing any ordinary app.
Install VPN on your Computer
These are the steps to install a VPN on your computer.
- First of all, select the best VPN for your device
- Now go to the website of the VPN service provider
- Select the plan and complete the payment process
- Now download the VPN on your computer
- Keep in mind that VPN can be in form of an extension, software, or an app
- After successfully downloading, install VPN on your computer
- Allow access and change the location of your server
- Now, turn ON the VPN when you are using the internet.
Install VPN on your Mobile Phone
These are the steps to install a VPN on your mobile phone.
- Go to the website of the VPN service provider or go to the Play store or App store to download VPN app.
- You can download VPN only in app version on your mobile phone.
- Select a plan and complete the payment
- Click on the link to download
- Now install the app
- Allow access to the location
- Change location and set it to the desired location
- Turn ON the VPN when you are going to use the internet.
With both these methods, you can easily install a VPN on any device.
How to Use a VPN?
After successfully Installation of VPN, now the next step is to use VPNs service.
So, follow these steps to use VPNs
- Turn on your internet connection
- Open VPN app
- Turn on VPN
- Set the desired location if VPN not working
- Now open any browser and start browsing the internet
You may also like:
- FBI Surveillance Van WiFi: Why Do I See It On My WiFi List (Full Explained)
- What Does Sync Mean On Phone, Computer, and Google
- Does Lead Paint Block WiFi (Full Explained)
- No Ethernet Ports In House: How To Get Fast Internet
- What Is Network Security Key And How To Find It
In conclusion, setting up a VPN involves:
Choosing a VPN service provider.
Downloading and installing their software or app.
Launching the VPN.
Signing in with your account credentials.
Selecting a server location.
Connecting to the internet through the VPN.
Therefore, it will ensure that your online activities are secure and private. The steps may vary slightly depending on the specific VPNs service provider and device you are using.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Using VPNs legal?
Most VPNs are legal to use in many countries. If you are unlocking a website using VPNs, then it is totally legal. If any website is illegal without VPNs it is also illegal after using VPNs.
Which is the best VPN service provider?
Moreover, according to the comprehensive guide, Private Internet Access offers the most exceptional services at cost-effective prices, topping the list.
Is using Tor Browser better than VPN?
You can use Tor Browser to hide your online activity over the network on an internet server, but it might slow your internet speed.
According to me, VPNs are good than Tor Browser because VPNs provide good internet speed and good privacy for your data
How to Setup a VPN?
The process of setting up VPNs is so easy. Just go to the website of the VPNs service provider, make payment and download the VPNs on your device. After that, install VPN to get started.